Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

HM4HB

I think one of the coolest things I've found recently is an organization called 'Human Milk 4 Human Babies'.

I LOVE that I've been able to exclusively breastfeed my baby girl...I don't think anyone would argue that 'breast is best', and what a blessing it has been that it came relatively easy for me and Evangeline, especially after the first two weeks. But two of my friends who had babies around the same time as me have had quite a bit of trouble with breastfeeding. One was unable to continue because her supply almost completely dwindled for no apparent reason. The other persevered and is now successfully breastfeeding, but at quite a large cost (of time and money, since she pumped a lot and she bought donor milk to supplement for a while, which can cost about $20 a bottle). Knowing these two wonderful ladies and the struggles that they have had made me much more sympathetic towards those who end up using formula. **I am not sympathetic towards those who use formula without even trying to breastfeed or because of nonsense reasons. But no soapbox here.**

This is how we fed breast milk to Evangeline for her first two weeks.
So a couple weeks ago I was reading this blog I enjoy, and she was writing about how she participated in donating milk to someone through this organization, HM4HB. I ended up looking on Facebook for their North Carolina page, and was amazed at how awesome it is. People post on the wall when they are in need of breast milk...some are moms who just couldn't breastfeed for whatever reason, some have adopted babies and want them to have breast milk. Then, someone else who has more than enough pumped milk and is in their area responds to their post to set up a time to meet. 

I realize that not everyone would be comfortable with taking milk from a stranger...a legitimate concern, and one I would probably struggle with if I was the one needing breast milk for my baby. However, if the site was selling the milk, I'd be much more concerned. When there is really no benefit to the mother giving her milk away, I can't see why she would knowingly give away tainted milk. That's my opinion at least...I do tend to be optimistic about people in general, but I really don't think there are many people out there who would knowingly make a tiny baby sick.

Anyways, if I had an electric double pump and a little extra time, I would be donating milk to some of those mothers...there are quite a few that post within my area, and I've had a very good supply since week one. How cool is it that mothers can network together over Facebook and help each other do what is best for their babies?

0 thoughts about this post:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts about my blog! I love to hear what people think regarding what I write about, and any tips or advice you have for me.