Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A dessert recipe for your eggless friends

I found this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book that I got as a wedding gift...it has seriously been one of my most used gifts! (-: I knew a lot of recipes before, but when you start cooking for someone else more than once or twice a week, you need some variety.

Anyways, I made this recipe on a whim once, and it was delicious. Then I realized that it was perfect to make for my Indian friend who chooses not to eat eggs for conscience reasons. He loved it! It says in the cookbook that this was also a wartime favorite because it uses very little sugar, no butter, and no eggs. It's relatively easy to make too, so I figured I should share it! Here it is...enjoy!
This isn't it exactly, but it is pretty much how it looks...so much chocolaty goodness!
Side benefit of making this if you are pregnant: You can lick the bowl, because there are no raw eggs in the batter!!! WOOHOO!!! 

Brownie Pudding Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8x2 inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the walnuts.


2. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar and the 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Stir in the boiling water. Slowly pour brown sugar mixture over batter.


3. Bake for 40 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve warm (you don't have to, obvioiusly). Spoon cake into dessert bowls; spoon pudding from the bottom of the pan over cake. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream. (that's all suggestions...you can eat it however you want!).

0 thoughts about this post:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts about my blog! I love to hear what people think regarding what I write about, and any tips or advice you have for me.