Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

Good Brownie Pudding Cake, Not Evil

In my Bible study today, my friend and I talked about the verse in Proverbs 31 that says that the excellent wife does "good, and not evil" to her husband all the days of her life. So, I decided to put that into practice! It was the first day of work for Adam, so before he came home I baked him a cake.
I got the recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It says that it has been in the book since 1944, and was a wartime favorite because it doesn't use butter or eggs, and skimps on the sugar. It really is very easy. The only disappointment was that it takes an hour to cool (I guess for the pudding to set), but I had to go to church before it was finished, so I didn't get to have it while it was warm. But I did have it when I came home, and it was really delicious! I put  whipped cream on top, but the recipe says it would be good with vanilla icecream, which I'm sure is true...we just don't have any at the moment. (-:
Here is the recipe:
1 cup All-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water
vanilla icecream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (actually, I found that the top of the cake got a little burned, so I would maybe start preheating at the beginning of step two instead). Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, granulated sugar, the 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir in the walnuts.
2. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar and the 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Stir in the boiling water. Slowly pour brown sugar mixture over batter.
3. Bake for 40 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve warm. Spoon cake into dessert bowls; spoon pudding from the bottom of the pan over cake. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.

2 thoughts about this post:

Anonymous said...

Hannah....that looks like a great recipe. You might also try lowering your oven rack so it isn't as close to the element on top. I am always looking for healthier sweets I will give this one a try!

Anonymous said...

I've made that before and it's yummy! I'm sure Adam loved it. I wonder if you have one of those oven thermometers that allows you to see if the thermostat is accurate.

amanda g.

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts about my blog! I love to hear what people think regarding what I write about, and any tips or advice you have for me.