Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Great News for Us Ladies!

So, I'm sitting in Panera Bread doing my research on my feminism paper. I feel so sophisticated! Believe it or not, I actually get more work done when I come to the mall with Adam when he goes to work, than I do when I sit at home all day. The distractions of the mall aren't as tempting as the distractions of computer and Hulu.com. (-:

My research is coming along pretty well. Yesterday I looked almost exclusively at essays written in support of the egalitarian position (women can fill ALL ministry roles), and today I'm looking at those in support of complementarianism (women cannot be pastors or elders). So yesterday I was an egalitarian and today I'm a complementarian. d-: I haven't looked at much on the roles of women in the home yet, but that should be interesting!

I won't write what side I think I'm coming down on yet, but I will say this. Both sides (at least that I've read so far) view women as completely equal in worth and value to men! This is worth celebrating. It is obvious to me that God could have made the Biblical passages clear that women are less than men, or that men are somehow created more in the image of God than women are. But He didn't! The creation narrative is plain that men and women were created equally, have equal value, and equal responsibility in ruling over the earth. Galations 3:28 confirms it in the New Testament.

Whether or not equality of personhood means the same thing as equality in roles is the question at hand. I'll let you know what I come up with!

0 thoughts about this post:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your thoughts about my blog! I love to hear what people think regarding what I write about, and any tips or advice you have for me.